The Aquabike event is an Olympic-distance course without the running. Swim 1.5KM around the Santa Cruz Municipal Wharf, then bike 40KM to Davenport and back. Finish is when you enter Transition after the bike ride. Pick up your medal from a volunteer at the gate or at the Medical Tent.
Please review the maps before the race. It is each athlete’s responsibility to know the course and any potential hazards.
The swim corral will be located on Main Beach in front of the Boardwalk bandstand. Aquabike swimmers will start in a wave together, heading clockwise around the Wharf and exiting the water at Cowell Beach. From there, swimmers run through the parking lot, across the street and up a paved path to the transition area. Volunteers will guide racers.
In the event of extreme fog delays (such as what occurred in 2012), an alternate swim course that parallels Main Beach will be utilized.
- Exit transition and head up Washington Street Extension, across train trestle onto West Cliff Drive
- Continue on West Cliff drive which turns into Swanton Boulevard
- Left Delaware Street
- Right on Natural Bridges Drive.
- Right on Mission Street Extension and a quick Left on Western Drive
- Left onto Highway 1 and ride out to Davenport
- Right on Davenport Avenue
- Left on Marine View Avenue
- Left at the top of the hill on Marine View Avenue to return to Highway 1 (look for volunteers)
- Left on Highway 1 all the way back to Santa Cruz
In return to Santa Cruz:
- Right onto the Schaffer Road and quick left onto Mission Street Extension
- Right onto Natural Bridges Drive
- Left onto Delaware Avenue
- Right onto Swanton Boulevard which turns into West Cliff Drive
- Stay left on Washington Street Extension (over the train trestle) and back down the hill to transition.
- Watch for dismount area just before the base of the hill!
- Go into the first driveway of the transition area to Finish!!
Aquabike racers will receive their medals in the Transition Area. If a volunteer does not find you to award you a finisher’s medal, please visit the Medical Tent to collect your medal.
Note: The Swim In and the Run Out both follow the path at the back of the park and go under the train trestle, avoiding the street traffic on Pacific Avenue. The Bike In and Out go on the road overpass, above the train tracks.
Any course changes and details will be covered in the mandatory pre-race meeting on the main beach at Lifeguard Tower #3 at 7:45 am.